Wednesday, July 8, 2009

NYC Update!

Over six weeks into my internship, I think I can say I have finally gotten a hang of the rhythm of city life. When I first arrived, I waited for traffic lights to signal 'walk' before I actually crossed the street. Now, like all other city-dwellers, I randomly cross the street with a 50% chance of getting beeped at by a caravan of taxi drivers. When I first got on and off the subway, I stared dazed and confused at a city map. Now, I breeze by the entrance and exit, actually cognizant of where the heck I am. When I first got here I figured that, if it rained, I could take a cab to where I had to go. Now, after paying $15 for a cab ride, aka, the closest thing you’ll ever have to a near-death experience, I’d rather walk in a downpour thank you very much.


I continue to learn very much here at the Feerick Center at Fordham Law. The main focus of my work continues to be consumer protection in debt collection cases. Very recently, I attended a training session for lawyers interested in offering pro bono services for individuals being sued for their alleged failure to pay debt. At this point, having done such a great deal of research into the issue, and particularly the legal matters surrounding debt collection, I feel as though I myself could competently give legal advice on the subject. The major piece of legislation that regulates debt collection is The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. The legislation, signed into law in 1977, controls the instances and manner in which debt may be lawfully collected. The FDCPA is a powerful tool that helps consumers to repel abusive debt collection practices. Frequently, individuals being sued for owing debt will be able to remember somewhere along the process when there was an instance of abusive debt collection practices.


On the cultural front, I again ventured to Avery Fisher Hall to listen to the New York Philharmonic. For the record, they performed Gustav Mahler's 8th Symphony which is one of the most impressive compositions in musical history. If you think that’s overstating it, check it out. Also, I have spent some time (although you could spend days and still not see everything) in the Museum of Natural History. I’m not sure what exactly “natural history” is, but the museum was incredible. I have just over three more weeks here in NYC and so far, I have been enjoying every minute!

No comments:

Post a Comment