Sunday, August 30, 2009

Ropes Course.

Hey Everyone!

First and foremost, I'm really glad Bianca posted because I didn't want to hog the blog, plus I was pretty curious as to what John Hopkins was like. (I've been reading about it all summer, lol)

So, you're probably wondering if training is over.. It's not. However, today was one of the most rewarding days of my life, and I just had to share it. As part of RA training we go through a Ropes Course, that is actually right behind the tennis courts here on Siena. We work with our teams, build trust, and get through different tasks together. Our first task as a team was to make a "Trust Circle". It basically entails one person in the middle with their eyes close and being passed along in the circle. (I'm sure you've seen/done it) I was the first volunteer, and I actually couldn't do it. I was scared of being dropped. After everyone else did it successfully, our next trust builder was actually a "Levitating" exercise. Again, I was the first volunteer, and again, I was scared but I didn't back out this time. Basically, the person in the middle has one "back person", and the rest of the team holds you so you're "levitating" off the ground. They then sway you back to the ground so that you don't even know you're on the ground. It was awesome, and it made me trust my team, a lot. After those two exercises, we made our way through the woods (literally, the woods) to our first stop on the course. Our first team exercise on the course was "Wild Wires". Basically, it's two wires tied to trees that start closely together and slowly separate out. The task is simple: You and your partner, who is on the wire across from you, have to make it as far as you can go on the ropes. The task isn't as simple as it sounds though. You have to find balance, and strength because it requires a lot of both of those to stay on the wires. We had supporters between us, and behind us, and my entire team made it at least halfway through until falling. The exercise build our trust, and more importantly our communication with each other. (remember, most of us just met monday) The next course that we went to was also "simple". It had two platforms, and a rope and we had to swing from one to the other.. We all made it, no big deal. Then, we all had to fit on these platforms that were maybe 5 ft long and 3 ft wide... There were 13 of us! We did it, and then each of us had to get to the platform across from us via rope. We did it again! Now, it was time for the true curve ball; We had to swing and do the task BLINDFOLDED! And, guess what.. WE DID IT! This was my favorite because you really felt the trust between all of us. We were all holding onto each other, trying not to fall off, and to much credit to us, NOT ONE OF US touched the dirt. We all stayed on that platform like champs, even when someone completely crashed into us from the rope. After that, all the different teams came together by this 14 ft wall with a single rope. It was a challenge by choice exercise, and as I'm sure you can assume the objective was to get up the wall. Not everyone did it, but, the goal was for us to really conquer our fears and demons and to learn to rely on each other. Now, my biggest fear in life is heights. I shake, I get nervous, and I experience anxiety. I don't even go on rollercoasters! Because of this fear, I kind of just stayed in the back of the group, and watched about 10 people go up the wall. Each of them struggled, but the people on the bottom and the people at the top of the rope helped them through it. After seeing them all get through it with support (remember, all it is a rope and a flat wall... no harness), I decided to go! I stood in the middle by the rope, and looked around at everyone and told them I was terrified, but, they all reassured me that I was going to be okay. After the person who was on top came down, I just started climbing. It was really difficult because the wall was slippery from the rain, but after a struggle, I made it up the wall! I stood at the top of that wall, looked down, and couldnt believe I did it! I'm still in shock to be honest. When I got up there the entire group cheered, and it was because of their support that I got up that wall. For me, it was so rewarding, and really telling of what my year is going to be like. There are going to be things that I'm going to be scared to do, or that are going to be difficult to overcome, but, I can do it, as long as I have the support of those around me. Sure, I'm going to stumble and slip and feel like I can't do it, but, at the end of the day, there are going to be people all around me willing to give me their support. I think that's so important to remember. We all have our mishaps, we all feel overwhelmed sometimes, but, we have to remember that there is ALWAYS help, as long as we look for it. I know for me, whenever I feel like I can't do something, I'm going to think back to today and the feeling I had when I got on top of that wall. I didn't do it gracefully, but I did it, and in the end that is all that matters.

That's all for today, and hopefully next time I come around these parts of the internet I will have found a picture of me doing the wall for you all (I know someone has one, I just have to find it).

See you all so soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment