Friday, March 12, 2010

Time for an Adventure

Hey everyone!

I want to start off by saying how much I loved your video, Liv! You did a beautiful job on the set... I'm hoping to go see Perfect Pie this weekend! I hear it's really good.

Anyway, sorry guys that I've been so MIA lately! This is a crazy crazy crazy time! Right now I'm in the middle of a pretty tough semester. I'm teaching my Philosophy of Language class on Tuesday, so I'm trying to prepare for that, working on a term paper, studying for Biochem and trying to learn the intricacies of glycolysis, trying to figure out how do draw faces in my drawing class, choreographing 5 dances for the kids that I teach for their recital that's coming up in June, finishing up my senior thesis on just war theory (which I should have done in 2 weeks, yay!), trying to figure out where I'm going to graduate school for my Ph.D. next year, AND fundraising for my conservation expedition to South Africa this summer.

Yep, that's right... I am going to South Africa this summer with Operation Wallacea! You should definitely check it out! I was looking for an adventure after I finish my undergraduate education here and before I begin my graduate education, and a friend of mine told me about OpWall... which is a really amazing organization that holds research programs in places like Indonesia, Honduras, Egypt, Mozambique, Madagascar, Peru, Cuba, and of course, S.A. So I'm going there for about a month to help with monitoring endangered species, assessing damage to habitats, and aiding in the development of effective conservation programs! I've never been outside of my timezone before, so this is going to be a little scary for me. But it is definitely going to be worth it.
As I said though, I'm trying to get some funds together as it is pretty expensive to travel to S.A. (the World Cup is going to be there at the same time) as well as cover expedition costs. So I'm applying for a bunch of scholarships, and trying to get support from local companies. Does anyone have any suggestions??

Anyway... I'm off to teach some little ballerinas, but I'll talk to you all soon. Wish me luck!

~Bianca

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Bianca! And I feel your pain with traveling to South Africa this summer. Im going too! I'm studying abroad there and leave July!

    ReplyDelete