Friday, April 10, 2009

From Gettysburg to Mechanicville


Well, for those of you who read my last blog, let me just say my trip to the Gettysburg was amazing. The battlefield today is covered with monuments most of which would be meaningless to the average tourist. Luckily, we Siena students were accompanied by John Vallely, professor of military history here at Siena. Mr. Vallely did an excellent job of making the monuments "come alive" through the stories behind them. On the right is my favorite monument that I saw; it is a memorial to all the North Carolinians who fought at Gettysburg. The monument, which depicts five men forever marching toward Union lines, is meant to evoke the valor of those men who engaged in Pickett's Charge.
Although the trip was very enjoyable, I have to admit that I was exhausted upon my return, and was glad to have a short week of class at Siena. I am now recharging my batteries at home in Mechanicville, happily sleeping away my vacation! Happy Easter!
Until Next Time,
Mike DiSiena

No comments:

Post a Comment