Saturday, January 9, 2010

TrustCo Bank Award for Excellence!


Happy Saturday Night, Everyone!

Yes.. I know it's 11:04 p.m. on a Saturday, but I had quite the exhilarating day and I just had to share it with you! Today, Pathfinders (A club that I'm one of four coordinators with) received an "Award of Excellence" for our work with Project Linus during halftime of the Saints basketball game against Niagra. Words can not described how honored I feel (and, I think I can speak for the rest of the coordinators in saying that). Standing center court with Father Mullen (President of Siena) in front of 8,068 people was one of the best experiences of my life. Since I do not think my words can describe how much this award meant, I'm going to paste for you the exact words that were said when we were walking down on court;

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN THE TRUSTCO BANK 'AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE' RECOGNIZES INDIVIDUALS WITHIN THE SIENA COMMUNITY FOR OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENTS AND SERVICE... UNDER THE DIRECTION OF THE SIENA ADMISSIONS OFFICE... A GROUP OF CARING STUDENTS MADE A BIG DIFFERENCE TO THE PEOPLE IN OUR COMMUNITY THAT NEED IT MOST WITH SERVICE AND KINDNESS ...IN DECEMBER THE SIENA PATHFINDERS, A VOLUNTEER-STUDENT- AMBASSADOR CLUB DISCOVERED A MOST UNIQUE WAY TO SHOW THEY CARE...THEY JOINED A MOVEMENT CALLED PROJECT LINUS...A NATIONWIDE ORGANIZATION THAT PROVIDES HOME-MADE BLANKETS TO ORPHANAGES, HOMELESS SHELTERS, DOMESTIC VIOLENCE SHELTERS, AND CHILDREN'S CAMPS...THE SIENA PATHFINDERS...A GROUP OF OVER 160 SIENA STUDENTS TEAMED UP WITH CHAPTER IN ALBANY TO MAKE BLANKETS...THE SIENA STUDENTS RAISED OVER $900 DOLLARS TO PURCHASE MATERIAL AND THEN THEY THREW A PARTY... A "BLANKET MAKING PARTY" ..THE SIENA PATHFINDERS CRAFTED 50 BLANKETS IN TWO HOURS...AMIDST FUN AND LAUGHTER---ALL FOR A GOOD CAUSE. IT IS WITH HONOR AND APPRECIATION THAT SIENA COLLEGE PRESIDENT FATHER KEVIN MULLEN AND ATHLETIC DIRECTOR JOHN D'ARGENIO PRESENT THE TRUSTCO BANK AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN SERVICE TO THE SIENA PATHFINDERS.... ACCEPTING ON BEHALF OF THE SIENA PATHFINDER....THREE SOPHOMORE COORDINATORS... LEANNE GELISH, ERIC GUZMAN AND SHAWN REAP

I was fortunate in having a partner for my 3 hour roadtrip; My wonderful Mom. Sometimes, when you're at college its as if you're in a different world entirely separate from your parents. Grades, everyday activities, club involvements etc tend to be forgotten in conversations just because there's so much to talk about, so for me it was great to be able to share this experience with my biggest fan. I know she was in awe of the whole experience, and this is something both of us will remember forever.

In other news, I go back to Siena THURSDAY for RA Winter Training. I'm excited to go back, but it'll be much better when everyone else returns on January 18th.

Well, I'm exhausted from today, and there's a new episode of Bridezilla on (Seriously, what a phenomenal show. Really teaches you how NOT to act on that special day) so I'm going to go. But, before I go I have two last things. First, I would like to publicly thank Pathfinders two Admissions Counselors who helped us with this entire project- Diana and Lauren; THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR EVERYTHING! If it wasn't for your help we wouldn't be where we are today. You two are phenomenal people.

Secondly- I would like to attach a youtube video of the Pathfinders making the blankets (that was made by Diana).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRPFk7PD1Ns

I'll see you all soon!
-Leanne

1 comment: