Sunday, January 31, 2010

Presidential Scholars Come to Visit!

Today the Presidential Scholars have arrived! These are all students who meet the requirements for Presidential Scholars and have already been accepted to the school. They attend Sessions on Sunday with their parents, go to a nice dinner with a guest speaker, and then the students stay overnight with a student host. Then, on Monday, the students get a tour, have a few more sessions, and call it a day. Through the entire process, the students get a good look at what Siena has to offer so they can better judge whether or not we are a good fit for them.

Today, I was asked to sit on one of the panels as a student speaker. I spoke on behalf of the Liberal Arts Independent Study option. As of right now, I am finishing up my own Independent study. Its a great way for me to finish up my Spanish minor and get the last three credits I need. In order to do so, I have to write a 15-20 page research paper in spanish. I am writing my paper on Poverty in Honduras because this past summer, I did a two month service trip to Honduras. I was able to incorporate many of my experiences into my paper.

The great thing about the Independent Study is that I get to choose my topic and write what I am passionate about. Its also a direct application of what I have learned in my classes to an experience that I had. I love how Siena has so many options when it comes to classes and how flexible they are to work with you. Your Siena experience is really what you make of it, and if you use all the resources available to you, let me tell you, its quite the experience.

Below is a picture of me while I was in Honduras!


Until next time,
Indira

No comments:

Post a Comment