Wednesday, January 21, 2009

So, I went to Greece?


Hi Everyone,
Sorry that I have not blogged in a little while. Today is the official first day to Spring Semester! I don't believe it. Spring semester sophomore year, here we go! My first class today is German Cinema at 1:30, then I have Managerial Accounting at 3 and Finance at 6! It's going to be a long day, but I am so pumped to get back into the swing of things.

I missed Siena so much over break and am so happy to be back. Yesterday, I went snowboarding with my roommates and some other friends. We had two cars full of people and had so much fun. Of course, I feel like a Monday morning quarterback today but it was so worth it. We go snowboarding once a week, its our new tradition.

So anyway, more importantly, I went to Greece over break!!! I took an upper level religion class at Siena called St. Paul in Greece. We studied the writings and teachings of St. Paul and the country of Greece in class in preparation for our 18 day study tour. We saw everything in Greece! It was amazing, and I now speak about 25 words of Greek!

We had class once a week for an hour and mostly we accomplished housekeeping tasks that enabled us to go abroad for this study tour. Every student prepared a site report presentation in class. We wrote a huge paper on a site in Greece that we were going to visit and we delivered it to the class at the actual site! I wrote about Delphi and the Temple of Apollo. It was awesome actually seeing the stuff that most people just see in textbooks. I was really able to take it all in! We started and finished our trip in the city of Athens. We saw over 10 cities and stayed in 7 hotels! It was so much traveling and definitely was not easy.

We also had to keep a travel journal. We wrote everyday on the sites we saw, how we were feeling and what we were up too! Talk about an great souvenir!
The trip really opened my eyes to so many different things. First, I am going to study abroad in England for a semester next year. So, by going to Greece for 18 days, I had a sneak preview of what life is like abroad. Also, I learned so much about Greek culture and saw so many amazing things! The trip changed my life. For the better.
*I have attached a picture above, of myself and Father Dennis in front of the Parthenon.

No comments:

Post a Comment