Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Crossing off somethingon the things to see before you die list

Well, this coming Friday I will be off to do something I have always wanted to do, that is, go to Gettysburg. I will be doing so through the generosity of the History Club here at Siena, as students taking the course U.S. Military History will be journeying to the famed Civil War battlefields. We will be accompanied by two members of the History Department faculty as well as a professional tour-guide detailing the events of the four day battle. I've always found the Civil War era the most fascinating part of American history and I am excited about the opportunity to finally get to go see, first-hand, the grounds where Lincoln spoke these famous words:

Now we are engaged in a great civil war....We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this. But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract.

Hopefully I'll have some pictures for you guys upon my return!

Until Next Time,
Mike DiSiena

No comments:

Post a Comment