Sunday, March 8, 2009

Spring Break

So, I realize that it has already been a full week after spring break, but I have been way too busy to update the blog. I had a long week full of exams, papers, research, and everything in between.

But back to spring break. I went down to the Dominican Republic with the Women's Center for a service trip. We stayed with a group of Franciscan Nuns who had a school. We worked in the school, teaching kids english and doing arts and crafts activities. In the afternoons, we also worked with an afterschool program. We sang songs, did arts and crafts, and read stories. Thursday was our tourist day where we went into the colonial district for some sight seeing and stopped by the souvenir shops. Friday was our beach day. We went down to the beach for the entire day because it was their Independance Day and the children did not have school. The water was crystal clear and so warm!

Overall, the trip was phenomenal. I had so much fun, and I really hope I can go back sometime soon. I exchanged email addresses with some of the sisters, teachers, and students, so hopefully I'll be able to keep in touch with them all. I feel like a changed person coming back. Being able to learn about and experience a different culture and lifestyle has changed my perspective on life. I am much more grateful for all that I have and now I am that much more motivated to give back to those who need it.

Below is a few pictures from the Dominican Republic. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment