Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Debates!

Those of you keeping up with the news realize what an intense presidential election we've got in front of us this year! I've been reading the news and trying to keep up with what's happening with the economy and the presidential candidates. Last Friday, I watched the presidential debate between McCain and Obama. They actually showed the debate on a projector screen in a room on the side of the dining hall. They had some snacks and chair set up. I went with a few of my friends. When I got there, I was surprised to see so many people I knew showed up. A lot of people were even watching it in their rooms and you could hear it on when you walked up and down the halls in the residential dorms.

It makes me happy to know that so many young people are taking advantage of their right to vote and are keeping themselves informed. There's another debate this upcoming week between the vice-presidential candidates which I'm also looking forward to.

Siena has also been providing students with forms in order to register to vote or to obtain an absentee ballot. I'm really glad the school is making it easier for students to vote and have their voice heard. I'm actually keeping an extra eye out for my own absentee ballot which should arrive soon in my mailbox. I made sure to stop by my town hall before I came to Siena and put myself on their mailing list.

So for those of you who are old enough to vote, I say go out and do it! Take advantage of your rights and help make America a country you can be proud of. And for those of you who cannot vote, make an effort to be knowledgeable about the candidates. I strongly believe this is an election which people will be talking about for years, especially with the state of our economy.



until next time,
Indira

No comments:

Post a Comment