Thursday, October 15, 2009

Law School Forum

I returned to New York City this past Saturday for the first time since my internship, brought about through Siena, over the Summer. Assiduous readers of this blog (and we know you're out there) will know that I spent two months at Fordham School of Law in midtown Manhattan. My venture to the city this time was to attend a very large law school forum (basically, like a college fair) at the Hilton on the corner of 6th Avenue and 54th Street. I was with a group of students from the Pre-Law Society here at Siena, which generously funded the trip. We arrived at Grand Central Terminal on 42nd Street. Evidently, my experience at Fordham came in handy because I was charged with the all-important task of navigating the city streets and guiding the group from Grand Central to the Hilton.

In any case the forum was very informative, and I collected about a dozen books each from a different law school. My favorite part of the trip was when I spoke to a representative from Washington and Lee Law School, a fine school in Lexington Virginia. The gentleman had a syrupy sweet Southern accent, and so, naturally, I just kept asking him questions so he would keep on talking. There are few things more pleasurable to the ear than a good Southern accent (though Mozart comes close). My fun had not ended yet though, as I continued to the table with the Wake Forest representative (Winston-Salem North Carolina). I was somewhat surprised by the number of Southern schools I actually looked into, although there were plenty of schools north of the Mason-Dixon line that I examined. Even the hometown favorite, Albany Law School was there.

The trip reminded me of the fact that my time here at Siena is, regrettably, passing on. My education has been geared toward a career in law, what with a political science and philosophy major and all. But I want to keep my options open as much as possible. In any case, I'm glad to have been able to go to the forum and, hopefully, it will help me to make a decision.

Until next time,
Mike DiSiena

"Nobody has a more sacred obligation to obey the law than those who make the law." ~Sophocles

No comments:

Post a Comment