Thursday, December 17, 2009

I thought I was invulnerable to it, but that's not the case, and if I can't escape it, nobody can. I am, of course, referring to the feelings of nostalgia one has when they are faced with the specter of graduation. Now, fortunately, I have another semester here at Siena, but I have to say that this one really flew by. I remember thinking that high school zoomed on by, but I have to say college moves even faster. So enjoy it while it lasts!

As you may know, Siena is in the midst of final exam time. One Siena tradition during finals is what is referred to as the 11th Hour. The 11th Hour is something of a prayer service, led by the Franciscan friars in the chapel here on campus (at 11 o'clock at night of course). It is aimed at refocusing our attention and putting things in perspective. Every semester at the 11th hour the chapel fills up to capacity, some students even sit down in the aisles. After the service, students are treated to comfort food, such as donuts, muffins, and bagels. Students from every year come to this, and I have to say, this year, as a senior at Siena, I've never recognized so few people. You see, Siena is a tight-knit community, and, if you come here, you'll be seeing many familiar faces over the course of four years. So, I was wondering why I didn't seem to recognize as many people as I did in the past, and then it hit me. As a sophomore or junior, you are more likely to know not only the students in your class year, but also those in the class above and below you. Well, as a senior, there is no class above you, and quite frankly, you don't devote a whole lot of time to getting to know every underclassman. So there I sat, struck by the fact that my time at Siena is almost up...and then I proceeded to block that ever-encroaching reality from my mind.

But, then again, I wouldn't want to have to take finals for the rest of my life.

Take care,
Mike DiSiena

No comments:

Post a Comment