Thursday, December 10, 2009

A Semester at College is Like a Good Vacation

Yes, you heard me right. What do I mean? Well, like any good vacation, you very much look forward to beginning your journey, and you certainly enjoy it while you are in the moment, but, when all is said and done, you miss the prospect of spending more time "on vacation," but are, at the same time, ready to return home. As each semester winds down, I am struck both by the fact that I am closer to where I want to go with the great education that I have received at Siena, and closer to having to part with campus life, and leave many memories and opportunities behind. Fortunately, I have one more semester, and I shouldn't look to far ahead considering I still have finals for this semester.

The last few days have been particularly enjoyable. As a part of the Orchestra here on campus (Yes, that's right, we have an orchestra. I myself play this monstrosity) I get to maintain my musical skill all the while enjoying some very good music. The orchestra itself is under the instruction of Dr. Paul Konye, of the Creative Arts department here at Siena. We played a couple of pieces, but the highlight of the performance was Franz Schubert's "Unfinished Symphony" (poor fellow couldn't quite finish it before his time was up).

This past Saturday, was the famed Siena vs. UAlbany Basketball game. The game has become one of the most important events in area sports in recent years, and the Times Union Center was packed. Fortunately both our men's and women's teams won, making students and alumni proud of our Siena Saints. The night was special because not only did Gina Castelli win her 300th game as head coach of our Lady Saints, but because the MAAC Championship Banner, which the men's team won last year, was unfurled. You definitely feel a strong sense of school spirit when you attend games like this.

All the while, I'm finally wrapping up a few loose ends in terms of course work. Today I got back a term paper I had written for my Shakespeare course on Macbeth and Masculinity. I'd never taken an English course here at Siena yet, but I have to say I really enjoyed it. Evidently, I must have learned something, because the professor actually wanted to keep the paper for her files. I now consider myself living proof that even a simpleton like myself can master Shakespeare with proper instruction. In any case, I hope the trend continues.

Take care,
Mike DiSiena

No comments:

Post a Comment