Monday, November 9, 2009

Bhangra!


As some of you may already know, I am currently the captain of Siena's Bhangra Team! Bhangra is a north Indian style of dance. Our team usually performs at Siena various times throughout the year, also at community events, and we even compete in bhangra competitions!

The picture you see above is our school's Bhangra Team last year. That's me in the bottom right corner! This was taken right before our performance at Desi Dhamaka, a local bhangra competition. We didn't place, but we definitely put on a good show! The audience loved us!

So, our first big performance of the semester is coming up! Fall Fusion is November 21st. It is hosted by the Asian Students Association and the Black and Latino Student Union right here at Siena! It is basically a multicultural talent show. Many of the performers are Siena students. There are also some acts from the outside community. There is singing, and dancing, and poetry, and music, and fashion, and everything else you could think of! Siena is certainly a very talented college.

So, the show is coming up in less than two weeks and I'm getting nervous! We still haven't finished the last minute of our choreography, and we have a lot of work to do in terms of formations and being in sync with one another. Next week we will be having practice every day of the week to brush up on our dance and make sure everything is stage-worthy.

If you guys want to check out our Bhangra Team's performance at Siena during Spring 2009, click on this youtube link:

Siena Bhangra Team at Expose 2009

Enjoy the Show!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I'm so excited to find your blog post here. I just moved to the area (I'm in Columiba County) and I'm interested in learning Bhangra dance. I'm not a student of Siena, but I thought you might know of somewhere in the area (maybe in Albany?) that I can can take lessons or join a group? I've been looking online and can't find ANYTHING except the Siena team. I'd appreciate any tips you can give me. My email is: lss@marlboro.edu Thank you!

    PS. I saw a video of your team online. You all look like you're having such a great time! :)

    ReplyDelete