Thursday, November 5, 2009


Well, midterm time is over with here at Siena, and I'm pleased to report I survived. It was also Halloween recently, and I survived the weekend, save for my pride, that is, after doing my best imitation of The Godfather's Don Corleone. In spite of that, I have been carrying on with my studies. One of the classes I am taking this semester is what is called, "The Symposium on Living Philosophers." Every other year, the school invites a real, live philosopher (yes, they do exist out there), to give a presentation at the school, and teach one of our classes. The class spans two semesters, the idea is, that by the end of the year, you'll be able to present your work to the philosopher and the community in a coherent manner. This year, the philosopher the school selected is a fellow by the name of John Caputo. The class is incredibly reading intensive and in-depth. Fortunately, the twelve brave souls who are taking the course are under the instruction of three superb professors, John Burkey, Ray Boisvert, and an "external scholar," Jeffrey Robbins, from Lebanon College. Though difficult, I am learning a great deal and am grateful for the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment