Friday, October 3, 2008

The first game!

After weeks of practicing and hardcore dry land training the hockey team finally had their first game. All of our hard work and extra efforts paid off as we gave Oswego State a thumping, 8-2. The first five minutes turned out to be a little scary as our captain got a minor concussion driving to the net, but that only fueled the flames for our success. Coach kicked us in the rear after seeing our sluggish start and we rallied to a 4 goal first period. The second proved to be even better as we pounded in 4 more goals and added to their misery. When the third period rolled around coach tapped me on the shoulder. He told me "Get ready, your going in." Being that I'm a freshmen i didn't expect to get too much playing time. I was surprised to see that I was the back-up goaltender for our opening game, but i hadn't expected to play. I was so nervous it was ridiculous. The last thing I wanted to do was blow a 7 goal lead in twenty minutes of hockey! Low and behold my anxiety only made me play that much better. I only let in one goal on the power play off a rebound, no biggy. My teammates were awesome, so supportive. They could tell I was nervous and made every effort to relax me. They really came through for me. They've made me feel more a part of the team and taken me under their wing. We all hang out both on and off the ice. The team has, in a way, become my family. We in fact have two games this weekend and hope to pull out some wins. I hope ya'll attend the home game against Robert Morris! Keep it real.

Peace, Josh Baillargeon

No comments:

Post a Comment