Friday, October 17, 2008

Get Your Popcorn Ready...

Okay Okay, I know I'm late again...
I swear I didn't mean it, your boy over here sometimes gets busy haha.
But I have so much to blog about tonight, it really is going to be well worth your wait. I promise.

Chapter One: Haha I'm just kidding, but not really.

Currently, I am at my home on Long Island for the weekend. I know, I know, I'm a sophomore and I am home. Let's be honest, I still do get homesick. I drove home from campus today and I probably listened to Home by Daughtry about 85 times. Haha and yes I am one of those drivers who sings while he drives. I have no shame.

Anyway, I had such a busy week at Siena so far. It flew by and I cannot wait to go back to school on Sunday.

For starters, I got a 104 on my accounting exam (It was out of 100 points haha)! So that was an absolute great way to begin my week. My professor even approached me after class and congratulated me on a job well done. All my studying was well worth the 104 %. I did get a 75 on a business law test haha but we won't be discussing that in this blog.

Anyway, thats neither here nor there. As you may or may not know, Siena is a small, private liberal arts college. So what is a Business Finance major like myself doing at Siena. Well aside from our amazing AACSB business accreditation, I want to be fully educated. Siena educates the Cura Personalis, the whole person. The liberal arts have totally changed my life for the better.

Allow me to give you an example of what I am trying to say.

Through my freshman foundations class, we had to attend a lecture by a gentleman named Jim Keady and it was called, Sweatshops and Social Justice. It may not seem exciting. but it's just one part of the liberal arts that has changed my life. Jim Keady was a division one soccer coach at St. John's university and he was fired because he refused to wear Nike products. Nike uses sweatshops in Indonesia and pays their workers $ 1.25 a day. Jim moved to Indonesia for one month and lived the life of a sweatshop worker. How amazing is that? Nike outsources American jobs and puts their workers in hazardous conditions for little to no pay, just to make a quick buck. Well needless to say, Keady's presentation changed my life. As a freshman, I wrote a ten page paper about his topic. The theme of my paper was, do banks who lend funds to socially irresponsible companies, like Nike, have an obligation to make sure the money they lend is used for responsible purposes. Look at today's credit crisis and subprime housing market. Banks are just lending out money and not looking into socially responsible investments. We have a duty to all members of the human race and sweatshops are unacceptable.

So, Keady's presentation was so good last year, Siena has brought him back again this year! My professor knows how much it has infulenced my life and guess who is having dinner with Jim Keady this monday night. Thats right, I am! How awesome is that? One of my role-models who helped shaped who I am as a person is going to have dinner with me! Also, how awesome is my professor for looking out for me like that?

My education here at Siena thus far has been so much more than strictly business and finance. It is through my Siena College liberal arts education that will shape this future investment banker, venture capitalist and politican.

I'm still looking for my first comment still!

I can't wait to post back next week!

Love,

Patrick Creegan

1 comment: