Friday, October 3, 2008

My First Case!

Hi everyone!

How are you doing? I hope that everything is going well for you.

As stated in some of my previous blogs, I am a member of the Student Conduct Review Board here at Siena. I sit on this committee with eight other students ( 1 more fellow sophomore, 4 juniors and 3 seniors) and six faculty members. Our job is to interpret Siena life and protect the rights and responsibilities of every member of the college community. We face really tough cases as a board but its amazing how we all work together and formulate an exceptional opinion that benefits both the college and the student. As a review board member, I try to get the best facts possible and get as many answers as I possibly can. We do not look look to harm the student. To be honest, I am a student so I give them the benefit of the doubt. I am involved in so many clubs here but the Review Board is something that I am most proud of. It's kind of funny because people always say as a board member, you should be careful because you are prosecuting fellow students on a small campus. I feel like a powerful judge when people say that. It's actually pretty sick.

So, today your favorite rookie had his first case. There were so many witnesses and it went over 3 and a half hours. The whole board was so focused and I was so proud to take part in such an awesome experience. My goal as a board member is to make sure that with every sanction (punishment) that I help assign, I want it to be a learning experience for all parties involved. I do not just say, okay well, you had a violation, we should expel you. That isn't my job. It's our job to find the facts and to help all students learn and make the most informed decision to benefit Siena and the student.

I heard we have had plenty of readers, thats awesome guys! And to my fellow bloggers, let's keep up the good work baby!

Yours truly,

Patrick Creegan

No comments:

Post a Comment