Friday, October 17, 2008

We're half way there!

So it did not take that long for the Dodgers to lose since my last post. While I am disappointed that my favorite team won't be making an appearance in the World Series I'm glad I can spend some more time on my schoolwork rather than watching baseball. After all, it is midterm season (I can't believe half of the semester is over and done with already). Midterms in college are actually very similar to those in high school. They count for a large portion of your final grade and they cover everything you have done in the course. I'm feeling pretty good about the one's I have taken so far. Two midterms down and three to go. Wish me luck...please!

As for the goings on here at Siena I can report that last week Gideon Yago, of MTV fame visited the campus to discuss the power and influence of Generation X, which includes anyone from age 17-27. I went reluctantly to see him speak, at the request of one of my friends in charge of the event. In retrospect I'm glad I did because the statistics Yago recited were very interesting. What was most striking was the way MTV determines what programs it will produce. Yago said MTV hires anthropologists and ethnographers (basically people that study human behavior) to observe the average teenage life in America. They report back to MTV and MTV then makes its programs based directly on their reporting. Think about that the next time you're watching The Hills!

Alright, well, back to studying for me. Take care.
Mike DiSiena

No comments:

Post a Comment