Sunday, October 12, 2008

A long week

Although this week was a shortened one for Siena, it was certainly long enough for me. It was pretty "rough" to put it short. Homework, homework, homework, that's all it consisted of. I've come to find out quickly that college is a big step compared to high school. For me high school was far from a walk in the park, there were a lot of late nights and early mornings doing homework, but college seems like the homework just keeps coming. Now I don't want to scare you because there is certainly time for fun in college as well as the ability pass with good grades; however, you have got to be very disciplined with your time. The most difficult aspect of homework in college is that the courses and curriculum are much more strict. It's tough on me when i spend 4 or 5 hours on homework at night, pass in my paper and receive a "B" or a "C", especially when in high school I received all "A's". Although I haven't got the grades I've wanted on all my papers and labs, there have been helpful resources for me to go to in order to do better. Each department has tutoring sessions for free, teachers have office hours, and peers and classmates are always willing to help. One the greatest perks of Siena is their ability to help you succeed in college. Nobody wants to see you fail. If a student does fail its because they just don't care or aren't willing to put in the time to understand the material. Professors want to help you, which, in my eyes, is awesome. I had a problem with my labs this week and couldn't understand what I was doing wrong. I made the initiative to go see my professor and we sat down for an hour, chatted about the rubric and grading system and I could finally see where I was going wrong. Our little talk will save me time in the future doing labs and allow me the chance of attaining a better grade. Never be afraid to ask a question your unsure about today, cause it could save you big time tomorrow!!!

Keep it real...

Josh Baillargeon

No comments:

Post a Comment