Thursday, February 19, 2009

La Republica Dominicana

Yes, thats right, the Dominican Republic.

That's where I'm going next week for spring break! It is actually a service trip hosted by the Women's Center here at Siena College. 10 students and 3 faculty members will be traveling down to Santo Domingo, the Dominican Republic's capitol, and volunteering for a week. We'll be staying with a group of nuns who host an after school program for children to keep them off the streets.

While we are down there, we will also be visiting an aids clinic, traveling down to the beach, browsing around the market place, and dancing around with the locals. I am friends with some of the students who have gone down in years past and they've all had phenominal experiences.

This year, we'll be down in the Dominican Republic for ash Wednesday and the DR's independance day! That means there will be lots of festivities! Apparently for independance day, the locals have something called 'carnivale' where they all dress up in costumes and celebrate in the streets. I'm really excited to be able to go down and see it all first hand.

I'm also really excited to enjoy the warm weather! It's dull and dreary up here in Albany, and I'm still waiting for spring. But... I get one week of 80's and probably a nice tan before I have to come back up here. Below is a picture of the beach that one of the students took on a previous trip.


So, this is probably the last post until I return from the DR, but I promise to post new pictures of my trip when I return.

Paz y bien,
Indira

1 comment:

  1. IT IS A VERY GOOD PLACE TO GO

    Miami, Doral and South Florida Real Estate - Homes for sale and Real estate information in Miami, Doral and South Florida

    ReplyDelete